Perhaps the world little notes nor long remembers individual acts of kindness — but people do.
- Herm Albright -
This quote is at once both inspiring and troubling. Imagine, if you will what life would be like it we truly did focus all we do on it achieving world-wide notice? We have become a society which largely focuses on the big picture, large profits, fancy cars, the right neighborhoods, the fancy job titles, the fat paychecks, designer labels, and the list goes on and on . . . when we have these things, LOTS of people notice. We smile. We feel proud. When we do not have these things, we strive for them, we covet them. We even get angry and blame others for our “bad luck.” This made me think a bit.
In the last few days:
- A friend, hearing my rake handle broke, said “here, I had an extra . . . don’t buy one.”
- Knowing I suffer from allergies, another friend came over and spent his entire Saturday morning helping me with yard work.
- Knowing I am seeking provision, a friend called and said “hey, did you see that . . . are hiring? It’s not listed in the help wanted so you might not have seen it.”
- I was tired as I walked into the school where I teach a writing class in an afterschool program a couple of hours a week. I wasn’t motivated to be there. As soon as I got there, a small child ran over and hugged me.
- A friend who is a very busy man realized I’d not emailed or text messaged him much recently and contacted me just to make sure everything was okay with me.
Know what? That is just a small part of the kindnesses shown me in the last few days. Not one of them will get someone a job promotion, put them on the front page of the news paper, or make the evening news. Each one of them, however, brought me joy.
There are so many simple things we can do not because we have to but simply to be kind. A smile, a hug, an invitation to have a cup of tea, a pot of soup for a sick friend . . . none of these are difficult. They will be remembered. Best part? When somebody asks “does anybody care anymore?” the answer will be YES!